We are a pioneering university center in Catalonia. Of Christian inspiration, La Salle was founded by the Brothers of the Christian Schools.
La Salle has been, since its beginnings, an institution dedicated to the human and Christian education of children and young people, especially the poorest. La Salle was created by Saint John Baptist de La Salle in 1680 in Reims, France. The Brothers of the Christian Schools introduced a whole series of innovations that revolutionized the pedagogy of the time and worked so that children from the most disadvantaged social classes could have an education. In 1900, John Baptist de La Salle was canonized and in 1950, he was proclaimed patron saint of Christian educators.
The first university studies at La Salle date back to 1903, when the electrical, mechanical and chemical engineering specialties began. At that time, La Salle was already a pioneer in the country when it came to meeting the demands of Catalan industry.
- 1903: The Brothers of the Christian Schools, located at the La Salle Bonanova school in Barcelona, under the direction of the director Brother Adolf Alfred, begin the first industrial expertise studies in the specialties of Mechanics, Chemistry and Electricity, and prepare the first students to be examined at the Industrial School of Terrassa.
- 1959: After a few years of suspension, the management of the La Salle Bonanova school decides to resume industrial expertise studies to offer an alternative training path to students who did not choose to study the Baccalaureate.
- 1965: The first group of about twenty students is formed to study the specialty of Electronic Equipment. Thus, the La Salle School of Telecommunications Technical Engineering was born, the only University School of Telecommunications in Catalonia. Brother Mateo Esteban takes over the direction, becoming the first head of the School.
- 1976: After the law regulated that all university schools had to be affiliated with state universities, the La Salle School of Engineering was transformed into the University School of Telecommunication Engineering (EUETT) and enrolled at the Polytechnic University of Barcelona.
- 1979: La Salle University School of Telecommunications Engineering receives ministerial authorization to start teaching the specialty in Image and Sound, becoming the first center in Catalonia and the second in the State to teach this speciality.
- 1985: The La Salle Master's Program begins with the La Salle International MBA, which is the result of La Salle's experience in the United States, derived from its long presence in the sector of the most prestigious business schools and the contribution of a faculty of teachers with proven business experience.
- 1991: The first private university in the whole State is recognized, the Ramon Llull University, of which La Salle is a founding member together with the Institut Químic de Sarrià, the Blanquerna Foundation, the Faculty of Philosophy of Catalonia and the Economics Circle. La Salle integrates the new URL with two schools: the La Salle University School of Telecommunications Engineering (EUETT) and the new La Salle Higher Technical Engineering School of Electronic and Computer Engineering.
- 1997: The Academic Board of the URL approves the creation of the School of Building Engineering La Salle (ETSALS). La Salle Campus Barcelona incorporates new teaching programs: Management, Engineering, Multimedia and Architecture.
- 2001: La Salle Technova Barcelona is born, the innovation park of La Salle Campus Barcelona. In addition, it incorporates its own E-learning methodology.
- 2015: The Degree in Animation & VFX is created, the first with an official qualification in Catalonia. These studies include a much more artistic side to the training and respond to a growing market at the national and international level. Since the second edition in the 2016-2017 academic year, it is also taught 100% in English.
- 2020: The creation of the La Salle International Faculty of Commerce and Digital Economy (FICEDLS) is approved and the Internet of Things Institute of Catalonia (IoTiCAT) is inaugurated.
- 2021: Approval of the Interactive Arts & Science Laboratory (IASlab) project, the future audiovisual hub of southern Europe.
- 2022: The Faculty of Philosophy of the URL is integrated into the knowledge ecosystem of La Salle Campus Barcelona and becomes the fourth center that integrates it. The new Degree in Health Engineering is launched together with Blanquerna-URL.